Since graduating cum laude from Indiana University School of Law-Bloomington in 1993, I have spent much of my career writing briefs and litigating in law firms that were tops in their respective fields. This experience includes writing briefs to nine federal circuit courts of appeals, the United States Supreme Court, and state appellate courts in Indiana, Texas, Wisconsin and Minnesota. I have also drafted numerous appellate motions, including petitions for certiorari, injunctions pending appeal, appellate fee petitions, and motions for en banc rehearing. At the trial court level I have written numerous dispositive briefs including motions for summary judgment, motions for preliminary injunction, and various briefs requested by judges for bench trials. I have also worked with expert witnesses to prepare their reports, and have taken many depositions of experts, public officials, and other key witnesses.
- Indiana University School of Law-Bloomington, Doctor of Jurisprudence, cum laude May 1993
- Valparaiso University, Bachelor of Arts with distinction and Christ College Scholar, May 1990
Majors: Economics, Political Science, and the Humanities
Civil Appeals - State and Federal
Including appeals on the following subjects:
- Commercial litigation
- Family law
- First Amendment
- Campaign Finance and Elections
- Insurance coverage
- Malicious Prosecution
- Personal Injury and other torts
- Property and land useage
Criminal Appeals - State and Federal
- Including both direct criminal appeals and various post-conviction proceedings
Trial Court Litigation-State and Federal
Including the following practice areas:
- Personal Injury & Insurance (both plaintiff and defense work)
- Commercial Litigation
- Petitions for Post-conviction relief
- Product Liability
- First Amendment
- Election and campaign finance law
Trial Court Litigation:
- Ogden v. Marendt, 264 F.Supp. 2d 785 (S.D. Ind. 2003).
- Colorado Right To Life Committee, Inc. v. Davidson, 395 F.Supp.2d 1001 (D.Colo. 2005).
- ACLU of Tennessee v. Bredesen, 354 F.Supp.2d 770 (M.D.Tenn. 2004).
- Alliance Defense Fund
- Federalist Society for Law & Public Policy Studies
- Johnson County Bar Association
- "Ohio's Supreme Court: Cautiously Supporting the Sanctity of Life" Supreme Court White Paper prepared for Americans United for Life (2007).
- North Dakota Supreme Court: Quietly Letting the Legislature Protect Life" Supreme Court White Paper prepared for Americans United for Life (2007).
- Mary’s Easter Story (Concordia Publishing House, 2002).
- Faithful Hezekiah Prays (Concordia Publishing House, 2002).
- Saul’s Conversion (Concordia Publishing House, 2006).
- The Centurian at the Cross (Concordia Publishing House, 2007).
- The Christmas Promise (Concordia Publishing House, 2009).
- Joseph, Jacob's Favorite Son (Concordia Publishing House, 2010).